Quinoa Muffins




These muffins turned out super delish. :)
I found the recipe online somewhere - I wish I could remember the source! - and then I adapted them. 
Here's the recipe:




A few notes: 
1. If you want muffins that are more muffin and less sweet, you can substitute { 1/4 c sucanat, 1/4 c agave nectar, and 1/2 cup all natural applesauce} for the regular amounts listed of sucanat and agave nectar.

2. You can use any kind of flours you want if you're not familiar with spelt flour - just make sure that the total equals 2 cups.

Sweet Potato Quinoa Muffins


Ingredients
1/2 c sucanat
1/2 c agave nectar
1/2 c coconut oil - melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 T wheat germ
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1- 1 1/2 c shredded sweet potato or carrot

Directions:
Combine first 5 ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and stir. Combine both bowls of ingredients and mix till just combined. 
Spoon into 12 muffin tins lined with cupcake papers or greased well.
Bake at 350 for 22- 25 minutes.
I did it the first time with the sucanat and sugar as listed and used carrots. They were almost candy like. We loved them.
The second time around, I substituted some applesauce for some of the sucanat and agave, and I used sweet potatoes. And they were still good, but they weren't nearly as sweet. But I felt better about using less sugar.
Next time I will try using "flax eggs" instead of regular eggs to make them vegan. I saw the idea on Oh She Glows. It looks like you just soak some flax meal in some water and then use it to replace the eggs. I'll let you know if it turns out. 
There you go. :) Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...