Healthier Cookies - Spelt, Oat, and Quinoa cookies

Spelt, Oatmeal, and Quinoa cookies
So, I have been watching "Fusion Grain Cooking with Chef Brad" on BYU tv. I love his show because he teaches people how to integrate whole grains (and beans in season 2) into every day recipes.  My husband thinks Chef Brad is a character. When we watch the show together, poor Chef Brad is referred to as "The Fruitcake". :) But he is entertaining. My kids even love watching his show. (I get the BYUtv channel on my Roku, but you can also find it on cable or dish)

Not every recipe on Fusion Grain Cooking fits in with my way of eating, but a lot of them do - and those that don't can often be adapted.

This cookie recipe was an adaptation of one of his recipes. And it is delicious. :)  You can find the original here.

Closeup - with a crummy camera. :)


Spelt, Oat, and Quinoa Cookies
original recipe by Chef Brad
adapted by Shana Galbraith

Ingredients:

1/2 stick of butter, softened - or if you want to, you can do all coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups agave nectar
2 chia eggs (mix 1/4 cup water with 2 tsp chia seeds and let sit for 5 minutes to gel up)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups oat flour (I ground mine from oatmeal in my Blendtec)
2 1/2 to 3 cups spelt flour - start with 2 1/2 cups, and add more if necessary
1 cup cooked white quinoa
1 cup organic coconut (this kind isn't pre-sweetened  - it has almost a powdery texture)
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Glaze ingredients:
Juice from 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp almond milk

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup water and 2 tsp chia seeds. Let sit 5 minutes to gel.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In a large bowl, mix butter, coconut oil, and agave nectar until well blended.
4. Add in chia eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
5. Add in oat flour, spelt flour, quinoa, coconut, lemon zest, baking soda, salt, and almond milk. Mix well.
6. Drop by rounded spoonful onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. (This makes them come of the cookie sheet so much better!)
7. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, mix glaze ingredients in a bowl.
9. When cookies have cooled, drizzle with glaze.
10. Enjoy!

Next time, I think I will try a glaze of lemon juice and agave nectar to make them even healthier. But the lemon juice glaze, in my opinion, is necessary. It complements the coconut so well and is super delish. :)

If your dough seems too stiff because you've added too much flour - and your cookies don't spread during baking - simply take your spatula, spray the back with a little cooking spray or water, and flatten the cookies before baking. They will turn out just fine. Thanks, Chef Brad for this tip!
Let me know if you try these out!

2 comments:

  1. I love this cookies, Its really very good for health. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. Vega Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe! I can't get Chef Brad's website to pull up so I was hoping someone had a copy cat. I made your version and I love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...