|Spelt, Oatmeal, and Quinoa cookies|
Not every recipe on Fusion Grain Cooking fits in with my way of eating, but a lot of them do - and those that don't can often be adapted.
This cookie recipe was an adaptation of one of his recipes. And it is delicious. :) You can find the original here.
|Closeup - with a crummy camera. :)|
Spelt, Oat, and Quinoa Cookies
original recipe by Chef Brad
adapted by Shana Galbraith
1/2 stick of butter, softened - or if you want to, you can do all coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups agave nectar
2 chia eggs (mix 1/4 cup water with 2 tsp chia seeds and let sit for 5 minutes to gel up)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups oat flour (I ground mine from oatmeal in my Blendtec)
2 1/2 to 3 cups spelt flour - start with 2 1/2 cups, and add more if necessary
1 cup cooked white quinoa
1 cup organic coconut (this kind isn't pre-sweetened - it has almost a powdery texture)
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Juice from 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp almond milk
1. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup water and 2 tsp chia seeds. Let sit 5 minutes to gel.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In a large bowl, mix butter, coconut oil, and agave nectar until well blended.
4. Add in chia eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
5. Add in oat flour, spelt flour, quinoa, coconut, lemon zest, baking soda, salt, and almond milk. Mix well.
6. Drop by rounded spoonful onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. (This makes them come of the cookie sheet so much better!)
7. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, mix glaze ingredients in a bowl.
9. When cookies have cooled, drizzle with glaze.
Next time, I think I will try a glaze of lemon juice and agave nectar to make them even healthier. But the lemon juice glaze, in my opinion, is necessary. It complements the coconut so well and is super delish. :)