Steel Cut Oatmeal - The Very Best Way to Cook It - Less Time and Less Slime

Image source here
For the longest time, I thought I didn't like oatmeal.

In my defense - I'd only had 3 kinds.

1. Uber-processed packets that were more sugar than oatmeal. As a kid, I loved the sugar, but as an adult, not so much.

2. My mom's quick cooking oatmeal - bless her heart - she tried, but she refused to put salt in it. She thought the very idea was weird. And she'd make up for it by adding chocolate chips, cinnamon, and raisins - but it wasn't very tasty. (By the way - I love you, mom - and I really appreciate your effort to cook breakfast for us picky kids)

3. Really slimy oatmeal. This is the WORST kind of oatmeal, in my opinion. Regular or Quick cooking rolled oats, cooked with more water than necessary, and stirred until it becomes a mushy, slimy, indistinguishable mass. And, I've come to realize that a lot of people cook it this way.

#3 is the saddest kind of oatmeal. Because with a little know how, EVERYONE can make oatmeal that is delicious, not slimy in the least - and did I say delicious?


 Here are my secrets.

1. Use steel cut oats. They are less processed and better for you. They retain more of the nutrients and are deliciously nutty. Most people steer clear of them because they are unfamiliar with them, or because they take longer to cook. But look at #3. I am going to show you they don't have to take forever to cook!!!! :)

2. Use salt.  This is a MUST. I know it sounds contradictory to put salt in something that you're gonna load up with sugar and fruit, but it really brings out the nutty flavor of the oatmeal and makes it so much more satisfying! If you're using a canister of oats, it will direct you how much salt to use. They're usually pretty spot on.

3. Use less water.  More water = more goo and less oat. :) Most websites you'll find on how to cook steel cut oats will say to use 4 cups water to 1 cup of oatmeal and cook for 40 minutes. Some will say use 3 cups water to 1 cup oats and cook for 30 minutes. But the BEST way to cook steel cut oats is to use 2 cups water to 1 cup oats. And only cook for 15 minutes. Less water, less cooking time, and delicious nutty oatmeal that hasn't lost all shape to the goo disaster.

Anyway, here's my recipe for what feeds my family of 5. Bon Appetite!

Quick Steel Cut Oats

5 cups water
1 Tbsp salt (I usually just measure some out in the palm of my hand)
2.5 cups steel cut oats
Toppings of your choice

1. Bring 5 cups water to a boil. Add salt.

2. Add oats and bring back to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium / medium low.
Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.

Serve. I like to top mine with Truvia, cinnamon, almonds, and blueberries. My kids, of course, like chocolate chips. :)

Voila. Easy peasy, right?
Go try it. I guarantee this will be the best oatmeal you've ever had in your life. :)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this recipe. I've had a large mason jar full of steel cut oats from last winter, but I've avoided using them due to the slimy texture from adding just a bit too much water I'm guessing. THANK YOU! When done just right, there's nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for sharing this useful post with us. Vega Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slime is great and this is what you need to bring out of the oats. That slime is the reason why it lowers chloresterol in your body. If you don't like it that way, eat it in smoothies blend it with berries etc. And drink or eat it from a spoon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...