BUT, the worrywart in me can't help but worry about worst case scenarios. This whole foods way of eating has made me rethink what I'd do in an emergency if fresh fruits and veggies weren't available to me. A lot of food that people store in food storage is either really processed, or an animal product. Even in the event of an emergency, it would be awesome to maintain a whole foods, minimally processed diet.
So, here's my TOP 10 LIST of the highly nutritious foods I consider "must haves" for food storage.
1. Frozen fruits and veggies. I keep a lot of frozen fruit on hand for smoothies. My favorite fruits are strawberries, blueberries, and mixed tropical fruit. I find them at Sam's club in bulk for the best price. My favorite veggies are corn, peas, lima beans, green beans, broccoli, and brussels sprouts. Let's just hope I have power and my freezer continues to serve me well. ;)
2. Wheat. Wheat is great because you can grind it for flour and make wonderful things like tortillas, breads, cracked wheat cereal for breakfast, pasta, or you can sprout it for greens.
3. Quinoa. This is probably the one I'm most excited about. Because Quinoa is easy to store, easy to cook, and it's a complete protein - it has all the essential amino acids / protein that your body needs.
4. Chia seeds. I LOVE Chia Seeds ! They are a super food that have so many nutrients it's astounding. You can eat them as is, and they contain a lot of protein, calcium, and omega-3's.
5. Dried or canned beans. My favorites are black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans. They're a great source of protein and fiber.
6. Coconut oil. Coconut Oil is a more heart healthy oil, and it can also be used for dry skin and lips.
7. Steel Cut Oats. My family loves oatmeal. And it is so filling! And the Steel Cut Oats have more nutrients left intact than the milled oats.
8. Canned tomatoes. I put these in everything from salsa to soup to pasta. Supposedly, cooked tomatoes are better for you than fresh anyway.
9. Nuts - My favorites are almonds, walnuts, and brazil nuts . They're a great source of protein and good fats. And brazil nuts contain selenium.
10. Vegetable seeds. I know that's not a food, but during good weather, with a little know how, you can grow your own fresh fruits and veggies. Yes!
So there you have it - my top 10 food storage ideas.
Now I wanna hear from you. What are your food storage must haves?
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. When I link to a product on Amazon, I look for the best price they have, so you don't have to search and search to find the best deal. :)