Chocolate Beet Cake Recipe

Photo courtesy of http://ragamuffindiaries.wordpress.com/ - My own pics to come on Monday when I make another cake.
Chocolate cake. Is there anything more comforting? I say there is. And perhaps you will agree when you sample this chocolate beet cake. With the genuine essence of chocolate in every bite. With every mouthful of chocolate beet cake, you shall receive chocolate's luxurious comfort in your mouth, without adding to the luxury of your waistline.

Thank you, Kate and Leopold, for that quotable scene. Hubs and I quoted that a lot after that movie came out.

And although Rhett and Link have decided that bacon is the cure-all food, I am a firm believer that that title should go to chocolate cake. 

Bad day? - Chocolate cake.
Cranky kids? - Chocolate cake.
Hormonal mood swings? - Chocolate cake. 

But - we're gonna up the ante.

This chocolate cake has hidden veggies - Beets!

And seriously - they're really hidden. You can't even taste them. I made it for a family gathering once, and the kids actually asked me to make it again.

Here's the recipe - adapted from Green Smoothie Girl's 12 Steps to Whole Foods

Chocolate Beet Cake
recipe from Robyn Openshaw, aka Green Smoothie Girl

Cake Ingredients:
2 cans beets, drained - or if you want to go less processed, you can use 4 large beets, peeled and steamed
3 eggs
1½ C Sucanat
1/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
1½ tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Frosting Ingredients:
1 stick butter
3/4 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease a 9x13 pan.
3.Puree the beets in a high-powered blender ( I used my Blendtec - but you could also use a food processor if you want.)
4. To the blender, add the eggs, sucanat, oil, applesauce, vanilla, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend again.
5. Add flours, and blend until just mixed.
6. Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
7. While cake is baking, mix all ingredients for frosting.
8. Once cake has cooled, frost and serve.
Yum!

6 comments:

  1. Finally, a way I could MAYBE get myself to like beets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I love chocolate cake! I've always wanted to make one with beets, but have yet to try it! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shana,

    I responded to your comment about the eyebrow dyeing but wasn't sure if you would get it so I am re-posting it here.

    "I've never had dye burn my eyes except when I bleach my hair. Regular dye shouldn't have this effect but if it does for you then I'd suggest ventilating the room really well; keep the door open and a window if possible, maybe even have a fan running too."

    Hope this helps (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate beet cake, And its really very yummy and tasty thanks for sharing this recipe with us. Plant based meal plans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...