Brita's Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Okay, guys - as promised - here's my recipe for whole wheat bread. Okay, okay, so it's not my recipe - I got it from my cousin-in-law, Brita. I tell you, she's a veritable treasure trove of great healthy recipes. She's the one who got me hooked on green smoothies, too. But I digress.




Here's the recipe for the most delicious, soft, moist, awesome whole wheat bread ever. - And you only have to let it rise once. Fabulous!

This recipe will make 4 yummy loaves of deliciousness. And I got the cost down to $1.41 per loaf - that's less than you'd spend on cruddy, store bought, processed bread. And there are no artificial fillers, sweeteners, etc. Score!

Mix:
5 1/2 c warm water
1/4 c honey
1/2 c canola oil
1 T sea salt
1/4 tsp citric acid (do not skip this! it's probably the secret ingredient)
3T yeast

Combine in a bowl and let stand until the yeast is dissolved and starting to rise - about 10 minutes.

Then add:
 11-12 c whole wheat flour
1 or 2 cups white flour - as needed while you're kneading

Mix until it's formed dough, then knead for 10 minutes.

Shape into 4 loaves and place in pans. Let rise until doubled in size - about 45 minutes to an hour.

Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dump onto cooling racks or towels immediately.

Scarf down. :)

Let me know how yours turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...