Quinoa Fruit Salad Recipe

Quinoa! I LOVE quinoa! Seriously - the wonder food. You can use it in place of rice, oatmeal, couscous or any other small grain, and it's packed with protein- it contains all 8 essential amino acids, so it's a complete protein!

I usually try to put it in everything that I can.  I eat it like oatmeal, I put it in my green salads, I use it in place of rice - it's just good stuff.

I find mine in bulk at Winco - it's a lot cheaper that way than in the small boxes you'll find at a regular grocery store. Or, if you like shopping online and only wanna try out a small amount, Amazon has a great price on it :


Anyway, one Monday morning, I was out of things to put in my kids' lunches. They had eaten all the bread and all the veggies in the house while I took my Sunday afternoon nap. So - I knew I had to send them something that would be nutritional enough to be a main course. Quinoa instantly seemed like the best choice. I rummaged through what else I had on hand. And this is what I came up with.






I've gotta say - it's delicious! I was so glad there was some left over for me to keep here at the house for my lunch! And the kids loved it too. Bonus!


Quinoa Fruit Salad
by Shana Galbraith

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 can mandarin oranges
1 can pineapple tidbits (I used 3/4 of a large can)
2 handfuls sliced frozen strawberries - you could use fresh if they're in season
1/4 cup agave nectar
10 to 12 shakes cinnamon

Bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, drain the mandarin oranges and pineapple tidbits. Place in a large bowl. Add frozen strawberries, agave nectar, and cinnamon. Don't stir it yet - you don't want to break up the mandarin oranges any more than you have to.


Once quinoa is cooked, place in refrigerator to cool. (I put mine in the freezer for 10 minutes because I was short on time.)

Once quinoa is cooled, add to the salad and mix gently. Either refrigerate until you're ready to serve, or serve immediately.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...