Green Smoothie Girl's Homemade Whole Wheat Flax tortillas

So, I saw this recipe in Green Smoothie Girl's 12 Steps to Whole Foods. Which can be pretty pricey. But I got mine free by buying my Blendtec through Greensmoothie girl. You can do the same if you decide to buy a Blendtec. That's a $70 value, free. Okay - I'll stop now before I sound like an infomercial.

Anyway, on to the tortillas! They are not that hard to make, and they are SO much better for you. No preservatives, artificial gunk, etc. And they're whole grain with the added benefit of flax meal. Muy delicioso!

I did modify a couple of things, but I stuck to the recipe for the most part.
And they're good tortillas. My family loved them. :)

Green Smoothie Girl's Whole Wheat Flax Tortillas
adaptations made by Shana

5½ C whole-wheat flour
½ C freshly ground flax seeds (I just used Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal )
½ tsp. aluminum-free baking powder (I love Rumford brand)
2 Tbsp. seasoning (powdered garlic, powdered sage, chili powder are some options - I used taco seasoning)
1 tsp. sea salt
6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 C warm water

1. Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet. If it’s too dry, add more water a spoonful at a time. Mix until a ball forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let stand for 10 minutes.

2. Separate the dough into 20 pieces and form into balls. Roll each ball into a very thin 10" circle. Stack them on plate and cover with a damp cloth. (Here, I just rolled each ball into a circle one at a time when I was ready for them instead of rolling them all out first. It worked nicely because by the time I had a new one rolled, the previous one was ready to flip.)

3. Preheat a griddle to medium-high. Place the dough rounds on the griddle (ungreased), flipping when air
pockets form and piercing the air bubbles. Tortillas are done when they are golden on both sides.

4. Use immediately or store in a Ziploc bag in the fridge or freezer.

If you like this recipe, head on over to greensmoothiegirl.com for more great tips, recipes, etc. I LOVE her site.



I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...