Today (3/14) is National Pi Day. Fun stuff, peeps.
So - to celebrate, I made Pie. Because you know, Pi backwards is Pie.
Anyway - this is the pie I made.
Looks yummy, right?
It was yummy. :)
I saw this raw pie recipe on Pinterest. And then, because my dear friend Angela mentioned that she was craving chocolate, I got the genius idea to swap out the crust for a crust made from this raw brownie recipe.
Genius. Thanks, Angela.
To thank her for her contribution, and because I had extra brownie leftover from the crust, I made her a mini version:
I just pressed the leftover brownie mixture into mini muffin cups and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes, then topped it with all the goodies.
Anyway, here's the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Printable Recipe Here
Raw Brownie Fresh Fruit Pie
adapted by Shana Galbraith
2 cups walnuts
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
12 medjool dates, pits removed
3 to 4 bananas
2 lbs fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 small can mandarin oranges
3 kiwis, sliced
To make crust:
1. Process walnuts in a food processor until they form fine crumbs.
2. Add cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt and process to blend.
3. Add medjool dates, one at a time and process until mixture is well combined.
4. Press mixture into a greased pie plate. (You will have some brownie mix leftover. I put mine in mini muffin tins to make individual brownies).
5. Put crust in freezer for 15 minutes to set.
To make filling: (after cleaning your food processor)
1. Add 5 large strawberries and 1/4 cup agave nectar to food processor. Blend to combine.
2. Slice bananas in half lengthwise and shortwise, and place in the pie crust. Top with 1/2 of remaining sliced strawberries.
3. Pour strawberry/agave nectar mixture over bananas and strawberries.
4. Open and drain can of mandarin oranges. Pile them in the middle of the pie.
5. Slice kiwis, and arrange remaining strawberries and kiwis around the mandarin oranges.
6. Refrigerate or freeze for 1 hour to set. I refrigerated it as recommended in the recipe I saw, but I would recommend freezing for next time so it sets better.
There you have it. Enjoy!